Wednesday, March 4, 2009

When You Need Help Conceiving

If it has been established that you need to take the next step and consult with a fertility specialist, there are crucial steps to keep in mind.

Fertility specialists for women are called Reproductive Endocrinologist. They are trained as gynecologists and obstetricians with 2-3 years of additional training in infertility and women's hormone disorders. There are many OB/GYN's who limit their practice to infertility to provide care for women with infertility diagnosis'.

For men there are urologists who have additional training for fertility and spend their time caring for men with infertility. Many of them are members of the Society of Male Reproduction and Urology (SMRU).

Finding an Infertility Specialist:

Check the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, the professional society for medical professionals who specialize in the care of individuals with fertility problems. You can also contact patient support and advocacy groups such as RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association or The American Fertility Association to find a list of fertility professionals in your area. Do your research and try to find opinions from past patients of a particular specialist. You can get help from various chat rooms devoted to infertility.

Once you find name of a fertility specialist, the following are some factors to consider before choosing to work with them:
  1. Training- Did the specialist have training in infertility beyond the standard training in obstetrics and gynecology and urology?
  2. How long have they been treating infertile patients? Do they have special expertise in areas such as endometriosis, in vitro fertilization, male factor infertility?
  3. Certification of the American Board of Obstetricians and Gynecologists as an obstetrician-gynecologist or as a reproductive endocrinologist or by the American Board of Urology.
  4. Ask about the doctor's current success rates
  5. Publication of research related to fertility
  6. Membership in professional societies: American Society for Reproductive Medicine, American Urology Association, Society for Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Society of Reproductive Surgeons, or Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology.
  7. Do they offer the full ranges of services including surgery, endocrinology and in vitro fertilization?
  8. Prices and participation with your insurance carrier
  9. Reputation in the community


Anonymous said...

These are good points to know.

When we were ready to see the fert doc I was "lucky" in that I nannied and babysat for several well known OB/GYN's and they ALL recommended the same doc, who happened to be the same guy my own OB/GYN supposedly he's "the best" in our area...we'll see....

Rhea said...

I think it's great to be informed and educated about any big decision you make. Great info!

I'm here from the SITS Welcome Wagon! I've been a member for a long time,and I've read so many fun blogs, met so many amazing women, and really enjoyed being a part of this community. Welcome to the SITStahood!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog today!

Wow, your blog has so much wonderful and important information to help in this process.


Related Posts with Thumbnails